- Winter Garden
- Mount Dora
- The Villages
- Lady Lake
"I was very impressed with the professional apperance and service of R & T Heating and Air. I would recommend them to anyone."
Mary K. Summerport, Windermere
Self Help - Heating and Cooling Maintenance
Let Us...Help You!
There are some problems that can be resolved without having to call a professional. Below are some routine items you can do to keep your system running at its best and save you money, and ways to diagnose some common problems to know when it is time to call for professional help.
Is your thermostat blank?
- If your system has a Safe-T-Switch, remove the top and check for water. If you find water, the drain is clogged or restricted and is in need of a complete maintenance to flush the drain. If your system doesn't have a Safe-T-Switch, one should be installed. The switch is installed to prevent water damage to Floors, Walls and Ceilings due to a clogged or restricted drain by shutting down the system.
- To help prevent drain clogs, slowly pour a gallon of water followed by a cup of vinegar in your main drain between Maintenance visits. DO NOT USE BLEACH
- Check your Panel Box to make sure your breakers are not tripped. If they are, reset the breaker. If it trips again, DO NOT RESET. Call R & T to have your unit checked.
- If you have lawn service, a common problem is damage to the outdoor unit wires. Check to see if the wires have been damaged by lawn equipment.
- Gas Furnaces have safety switches for the doors. Check to see if the door is installed properly and secure.
Make sure your Thermostat is in the correct Cooling or Heating mode and temperature desired is above or below actual room temperature. Fan should be in the Auto position.
If your Thermostat uses Batteries, change them on a yearly basis.
Are energy bills high?
- Check your filters - Depending on your filter, it should be changed every 30 to 90 days. Dirty filters will cause poor performance and higher energy bills.
- Clean Evaporator and Condenser Coils - Dirty evaporator and condenser coils can lower performance. Routine maintenances will keep your unit running at the peak efficiency.
- Install Dehumidistat - Unoccupied vacation homes without a dehumidistat will cause unnecessary system operation, wear and tear on your unit and higher energy bills.
- Check Thermostats are Updated - Thermostats that are out dated or out of calibration will cause extra run time. Digital Thermostats are extremely accurate and will lower your energy bills.
- Check Refrigerant Levels - Low refrigerant levels can freeze coils, damage the compressor and cause a significant decrease in performance and efficiency resulting in higher energy bills.
We want your system running at its peek at all times. Using this self help page will help your system run its best all year long. If you have any questions, please call (352)241-4746.